Monday, October 11, 2010

A Typical Night??

John, Cubbie and I had such a wonderful evening together doing all the things the little guy likes to do and believe me, this mom let him do it all with the hopes that it would get him good and tired and potentially sleep through the night. He jumped in his jumperoo while endlessly tormenting the dog as they played “I jump, you bark and I laugh like because it’s the most hilarious thing in the world”. We fish flopped on the floor (Cub still hasn’t gotten the crawling thing down yet), we rolled across the living room and grabbed the dogs tail, torturing her some more. We played hide and go seek and read books. Finally, the little guy gave me the universal sign that it’s time to start the nightly routine: the good ‘ole eye rub.

We bathed him, he ate and went off to sleep like a charm. I just knew this was going to be a restful night for all...until...

I hear Cubbie (at 2am): “momma, dada? Momma, dada? Momma? Dada? Dada? Dada? Dada? (Breaks my heart, it’s so cute).

Then: DAAADDAAAAA. DDDDDDDAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAA. DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Then: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. (Not so cute anymore)

Then: Hysterical crying as I try to pry my eyes open to measure a bottle while I trip over the case of beer John left right in the middle of the family room (even though I asked him to please put it away before I went to bed so that I wouldn’t trip over it).

Then: I get to my sweet bundle of joy who is shooting daggers at me with his little eyes. I whisper, “it’s ok honey, momma has food.” I pick him up to give him that sweet nourishment that he so desperately needs (have I mentioned this kid is in the 95th percentile for weight? no? well, yeah...he’s a big dude) and realize that he has completely soaked through his diaper, through his clothes, through his wearable blanket and onto his sheets and realize, wow, this room now spells like piss. So, I change him and clean him up, change his clothes, his blanket and put a fresh sheet on the bed all while he is screaming. It’s fun times I tell you.

Finally, I feed him and rock him cause you know, you cant put him down awake. Cause if you put him down in the middle of the night before he’s fully asleep, you hear the: “mamma?, dada?” thing again and I don’t really want to get back out of bed to rock him. So by the time he is stripped, changed, re-dressed, fed, put back to sleep and I check to make sure my toes are just bruised and not broken, it’s 3am. Takes me a ½ hour to fall back asleep and my alarm goes off at 5.

Sleep? Who needs it? Certainly, not I (sigh...). Anyone know how to run an IV of caffeine? Anyone? No? I have a feeling it’s gonna be a lonnnng day...

No comments:

Post a Comment