Thursday, October 21, 2010

I never understood morning people. Why wake up at the crack of dawn when you can stay snuggled in your comfy, warm bed well past the time the sun has made it's debut for the day? I'd rather get things done when the rest of the world is fast asleep and enjoy my late mornings. It's not even that I enjoy sleeping until noon - I certainly don't. But I will sleep in until the very last minute before work and waking up at 8 or 9 am is a luxury I like to indulge in on the weekend. At least that's the way it used to be. Before the Insomniac.

God certainly does have a sense of humor. Knowing that I'm more of a night owl, He provided me with a baby who refuses to sleep past 5 am and even 4:30 am is more of a regular wake up time for him than anything else.

Nothing gets the Insomniac back to sleep after 5 am. We have tried bribing him with a bottle against our pediatrician's wishes. We walk and rock and pat. We haven't yet let him fully "cry it out" yet though we are getting close.

"Crying it out" is an interesting method. I've read the pros and cons and I know people usually feel pretty strongly one way or another about it, but until now I've gone mostly with my gut. My gut hates hearing my baby scream so I just can't do it.

However, I now understand how some moms say they get to a point where there's just no other option. My gut, (and every other part of my body, mind, and soul), is sure getting exhausted waking up at 4:30 - 5 am everyday. But we have neighbors pretty close by and I'm constantly worried about waking them up because not only can my son survive with very little sleep, he can scream with the best of them. This kid has one hell of a set of lungs.

I see 3 options. 1.) Continue as we are and not only will I be "Overwhelmed Mommy" but I can also be "Ridiculously Exhausted, Overwhelmed, Mean Mommy." 2.) Suck it up and institute crying it out while pissing off the entire neighborhood in the process. 3.) Sell the house, find a new one in a more spread out neighborhood, then try crying it out.

Can you believe that the only reasonable option I see is number 3? Is anyone looking for a new home? Mama needs some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment