Monday, October 25, 2010

Oh Jamaica, How I Miss Thee...

Ahhhhhh, Jamaica. The hot sun, the cool pool, the never-ending drinks and food. Oh how I miss you. This weekend has been nothing short of trying for both John and I. It’s the changing of the seasons here so while the leaves may be really pretty this time of year, it’s also the time for everyone to get sick…and sick we have been.

John started with a sinus infection/cold last week and not long after, cub came down with the same issues. Poor kiddo was congested and just feeling awful. It’s the worst when your kid is sick and they don’t yet understand that concept of blowing their nose. They look at you with these pathetic eyes and it just makes you feel so helpless. But this momma powered on…taking care of both my men until they were pretty much on the mend. And then it was my turn. Friday night, I felt like someone was simultaneously stabbing both of my ear drums as they throbbed with a pain I couldn’t imagine. I’d say it was definitely worse than labor because, for me, it was. I never once felt a contraction or a Braxton Hicks my entire pregnancy and had a c-section on week 39 but hey, that’s a whole other story. Back to my misery.

Why is it when moms get sick, they feel bad for not doing the billion and one things that need to get done on any given day? I was exhausted, yet the laundry needed to get done, people needed to eat and my baby still needed to be rocked. And I did it with no complaint, knowing that’s just what moms do. I saw my mom do it for many years as I am sure she saw hers do it as well. Getting sick is different when you are a mom. There’s really no time to wallow in the self pity of sickness. Naps make me feel guilty…which sucks cause I love me some naps. But it is what it is and you do what you need to keep your family going.

Not gonna lie…there are days when I miss the carefree lifestyle where all I had to worry about was taking the dog out for a potty break. Now life seems so hectic and there’s never a chance to rest, much less do something I used to enjoy. But then I look at my little guy and he flashes that gummy smile and I know that there is no place I would rather be. Momville. Some days it’s hard but some days it’s not and those are the days that energize me and keep all of us moving forward.

A dirty banana wouldn’t hurt though. Nor would a sandy beach. There’s a time and a place and maybe we’ll get back soon. Maybe we won’t and that’s ok too. Even with a double ear infection, I can appreciate just how much the Lord has blessed me with and for that, I am thankful. Now if I could only get the stabbing to stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment